By plane: There are four airports to enter Laos and getting VOA: Luang Prabang, Vientiane and Pakse.
Overland: There 14 overland crossings from China, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand where you can get VOA. Some of the crossings are easy to reach (especially Thailand), some requires longer bus journeys.
Laos & China:
- Boten – Mohan (Luang Namtha province – Yunnan, China). Only crossing to China, 55km north of Muang Sing
Laos & Cambodia
- Dong Kralor – Stung Treng (Champasak – Stung Treng, Cambodia). Only crossing between Laos and Cambodia. Buses go between 4000 island and Pakse to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. Please note that some agencies offer cheap prices that involve a longer stop at the border
Laos & Thailand
- Huay Xai – Chiang Khong (Bokeo province- Chiang Rai Province via Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge No.3). Easiest border crossing from Chiang Mai (6-8 hour bus journey) and Chiang Rai (2 hours).
- Nakaxeng – Kaenthao (Loei province to Sayabouly Province)
- Vientiane – Nong Khai (Thai-Lao Freindship Bridge No. 1). Only border crossing to reach by train from Bangkok. Either take bus or taxi between Nong Khai train station and Vientiane, or take the train to cross the border. Train stops 10km away from Vientiane.
- Thakhek – Nakon Phanom (Khammouane prov – Nakon Phanom prov.). Direct bus between Nakon Phanom and Thakhek. Low cost airlines fly to Nakon Phanom airport
- Savannakhet – Mukdaharn (Savannakhet prov – Mukdaharn prov via Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge No.2). Crossing close to Sakon Nakhon airport.
- Vangtao – Chong Mek (Champassak Prov. – Ubon Rathchathani Prov). Most southern border crossing. Direct bus between Pakse and Ubon Rathchathani. Low cost airlines fly to Ubon Rathchathani
Laos & Vietnam
- Sobboun – Tay Trang (Pongsaly Province – Laichau, Vietnam ). Northern border from Muang Khua to reach Sapa
- Banteui – Nameo (Huaphanh province – Thanh Hua, Vietnam). Easiest crossing to get from LP to Hanoi
- Nam Can – Namkan (Xiengkhuang province – Nge An, Vietnam ). Crossing between Phonsaven and Vinh
- Namphao – Keoneua (Bolikhamxai province – Hatinh, Vietnam) Crossing from Lak Xao to Vinh.
- Dansavanh – Lao Bao (Savannakhet prov – Quang Tri,Vietnam). Preferred crossing to get to Hue from southern Laos
- Phukeua – Bo Y (Attapu prov – Kon Tum, Vietnam). Crossing to get from Pakse to the central highlands and Hoi An